Sunday, April 27, 2008

So sore...

Yes, the March of Dimes 5K Run was yesterday, and yes, I had no clue that I would wake up this morning so sore! I have been working out for this for the past couple of months and I really didn't think I would be sore, but I really am feeling it this morning.

Yesterday, I ran the 5k run with my sister, dad, and grandfather (yes, he's 72!) Well, I guess you can't really say we ran it together, because we all finished differently. Let me give you an idea of it all.

Okay, so I went in with the knowledge that when you start the race, be careful to pace yourself and don't just run as fast as the crowd. OOPS! Well, let me tell you. As I have been working out, I have been running a 12 minute mile. This has been a good pace for me so that I can run the whole 3.2 miles. Well, my dad and I were running together at this point and we get to the first mile marker where they call out your time, and when she said "9 minutes 12 seconds" I just laughed (through the huffing and puffing). I couldn't believe it! Well, maybe I could because I was already hurting. So, needless to say, I slowed it down a bit so that I could make it. All in all, I did pretty good. My goal was just to be able to run the entire race without stopping, but that didn't happen. I did have to stop a couple of times to walk for a minute. But, the greatest part of all, was my time was great for me, still with having to walk a few times. I finished the race right under 33 minutes. At the gym, I have been running the 3K in about 36 or 37 minutes. WOW! I was definitely proud of this, even if I did have to take a few breathers.

I don't really like running outside. I'd rather run on a treadmill in front of a TV to take my mind off the running. But, my IPOD kept me pretty occupied, along with my mind praying for the Lord to just help me finish. It truly was a battle of the mind just as much a battle of the body! My sister, dad, and grandfather did great too! My sister and dad finished around 30 minutes (my sister was first, GO JILL!!) Then Papa made it right under 40 minutes! It was such a great experience for all of us to do together! I hope we will do it again!

So, it is finished, and for that I am glad. But, I will continue trying to run better and hopefully do another run in the fall. (not to mention, continue working on getting rid of that stubborn baby weight! YUK!) We'll see! So, here are some pictures of our fun time at the park!

The four of us right after we got to the park! I was so nervous!

My sister and I before the race

At the starting line! Getting my music going! Shout out to Marla since her husband, Justin, was what I started the run to!

Finish Line! Don't be fooled! We didn't finished at the same time. My sister came to run with me for the last couple of steps (after her 3 minute breather.)

We finished!!! Post-run picture


This is my good friend, Mandy's, parents. Mike was running (Carol walked later) in memory of their 3 month old granddaughter, Lilly, who passed away a couple of months ago.

11 comments:

Ingram Gang said...

You have to go here:
http://kellylawson.blogspot.com/
This is a friend from college. Check out what they are naming their little girl! Craziness!

Amanda said...

I mean, you are so awesome! I am so proud of you!!

Amy Meek said...

You inspire me to run more!! You look great by the way!!!

Sam and Mandy said...

Way to go!! You did it and you did so great, that is awesome! Too bad we couldn't all have been there to cheer you on! We missed you this weekend, but it looks like you had more fun running!
Also thanks for giving my parents a shout out! I was so suprised when I scrolled down and saw you with them!

Kelly Efurd Lawson said...

Sarah--

Thanks for your note! What a funny coincidence... and like you, I try to keep the Star Wars connection on the down-low. Ha! My friends that I mentioned that know folks in Georgia with an Eisley, however, are VERY proud to tell people that they did get their daughter's name from Star Wars. I'm just not that brave. Well anyway... your Eisley is simply beautiful!!!

Blessings...
Kelly Lawson

The Barnyards said...

You are awesome!!!! What a fun day!

The Johnsons said...

Girl, I am impressed!! I think I would literally fall over dead if I tried to run that! Tell Jill way to go, too. And your grandpa...no words! I am very proud!

Emily Suzanne said...

How awesome!!! Congratulations!! maybe one day I'll get myself together enough to do one of these... I hope so~! We'll see!!! So, Thurs. works great for me! I'll be so happy to see you guys one more time. :)

Meg said...

Sarah! I'm so proud of you! We missed you this weekend. Promise you'll come next time! It's not the same with Sarah Jackson Wilson.

King Amy said...

sarah - i didnt know mandy's parents ran for lilly! thats so sweet...congrats on running - i am pretty sure i wouldn't make it!
hope you can come next year!!! :) Amy

Robin said...

Hey, I know we dont know each other but we have a mutual friend....well actually Amy (Meek) is my cousin and I was being nosy and looking at some of the pictures in her link lists.....anyway I really just wanted to tell you two things.....congrats on the running thing and you have very, very beautiful girls...
Robin Parker