Friday, June 27, 2008

Jody's coming home!!!

Yes, Jody has been leading worship at a camp all week, and he is finally coming home this afternoon! I'm so ready! I miss him desperately! Thankfully its been a pretty busy week for me, which somewhat distracts me from missing him. Mia went to VBS Monday through Wednesday mornings, and then had Mother's Day out yesterday, so it wasn't too tiring for me. (I always have a new respect for single moms when Jody goes out of town.) I got to go out to the camp two nights this week. It is a 45 minute drive out to Ceta Canyon, but well worth it to see Jody for a couple of hours. The girls went with me one of the nights, so we had a good time. Well, since Jody has our Mac and I am using our old, wait, very old laptop that has a missing "a" tab (you never realize how often you use that letter until you have push it extra hard.) I don't have any updated pictures so I will leave you with my recent findings....

So, I have had a pretty economical week. Earlier this week I bought supplies to make more baby food (which, by the way, my last batch lasted for 2 months, yeah, you heard me, I probaby spent a total of $20, TOTAL. I would have usually spent $60 on baby food jars for 2 months. I don't know why I didn't do this when Mia was a baby.) I also bought supplies to make Dishwasher detergent. (part Borax, part Baking soda, and vinegar for the rinse cycle.) Now, I'm not so sure how I feel about this. I've used it a couple of times, and I feel like my dishes come out with a bit of residue on them. I will gladly receive ANY suggestions. I really want to do this! (Oh, and as I type this, the tornado sirens is going off again, but this time, it IS the last Friday of the month, and it IS 11:30am. Whew! Scared me for a second.) Anyways, I will be making my Laundry Detergent in a couple of weeks when my regular, store bought, uneconomical, detergent runs out. So, again, please, everyone send me your enconomical tips.

5 comments:

Emily Suzanne said...

Does the homemade laundry detergent smell good? My favorite thing to do is smell all the clothes when they come out of the dryer (OCD?)
I"m a wimp when Britt's gone... a total whiny baby, so I admire single moms and moms who go w/o their husbands for a week!
Glad you had a good one!
You're inspiring me with the economical baby food...tell me more!!

The Wilsons said...

Actually, the homemade laundry detergent I've tried smells amazingly fresh because you use Ivory soap in it. Jody wants me to switch over to the homemade stuff ASAP! I love the smell of clean clothes too!

And the baby food is simple. Just cook sweet potatoes, or butternut squash in the oven at 400 degrees for about 45 min (the whole sweet potato, but cut off the stem of the squash, cut in half, and put it on a cookie sheet face down and cook it for the same length of time. Then just scrape out all the insides when its cooked, put in a ice cube tray, when frozen, transfer the cubes to a zip lock baggie, and keep in the freezer. Each cube is aprox. 1 oz each. Simple, simple. Fruits are even more simple. Just take of skins of apples, pears, or peaches. Core them, then just put them in a food processor till well blended, and freeze the same. Its amazingly simple. You can do it with anything. Love it!

The Wilsons said...

Oh, i forgot to say to put the squash and potatoes in the food processor too. (you might need like a tablespoon of water with the vegetables to make it for liquidy.)

The Barnyards said...

Way to go friend!! I have never tried to make my own Laundry detergent! You'll have to give me your recipe. I did find some new all natural Hypoallergenic soap called Charlie's soap that I love. Have you checked out the web sight "the daily green"? It has helped me out a lot. I'm starting to make all my own cleaners etc.. Everything I've read says Vinegar and water are the best for everything! When Riv starts on baby food I'll have to try using the ice cube tray...that sounds a lot easier!

Amanda said...

oh my gosh. you are so impressive!! I will have to make myself make some homemade food too! and my heart is with you when Jody is gone! too bad we don't live closer!!