Thursday, September 18, 2008

Another part of my Heritage...

So, its kinda strange that the day I would post about the heritage of my spiritual foundation and growth, would be the same day as the passing away of part of my life heritage...my great-grandmother. My Grammy Woods passed away in the middle of the night this past Sunday in her lifelong hometown of Stephenville, Texas. She was 97 years old, but she never once acted her age. Yes, the past few years have been a little more of a struggle with her health, but even at 90 years of age she was still working on her farm with all her cattle. She also LOVED playing in the band and singing for the "old people at the senior citizens center." Yes, she never considered herself to be one of those "old people." Even though I didn't get to see her much in the past several years since she never left Stephenville much at that point, she is still dearly loved. She left behind such a strong legacy of life, strength, and passion. I pray that I can be as passionate about what I love as she was. What a remarkable woman. Thank you Grammy for the legacy you have left behind, and the heritage that will continue speaking for years on end.



It was so great though to get to spend some time with all of my dad's family, including my cousins that I am so close to. (hopefully I will have pictures to share when my cousin emails them to me.) We had a great time just talking and laughing. Its never fun to have something so sad have to bring you together before your usual holiday gatherings, but it was still such a joy to be with family. None of our spouses were able to join us for the funeral, but it was kinda fun for it to be just the original family (minus my cousin Aaron who couldn't make it.) It was just like old times. Thank you Memaw (Grammy was Memaw's mom) and Papa for allowing me to have the table and chair from Grammy's house. Each time I look at them I will be reminded of Grammy and the life she so strongly lived. Thank you for blessing me with this fun furniture! We love you and will continue praying for you during this hard time.

Thank you Randy, Becky, Amy, Zach, and Zoe for taking care of our girls. It helped more than I ever thought to have my hands and time free while at the funeral. I am so blessed for family that is so quick to step up and help at a moments notice. I love you all! Thank you!

3 comments:

The Detwilers said...

I should be thanking you!! I had a really fun time with all three of them. I still encourage baby anger management for Eisley. :) just kidding!! I really did have a fun time!!

Amanda said...

Oh Sarah... what a sweet post! I'm so sorry to hear that. Grandparents have such a special place in my heart and it was so sad to read about her passing, but I love that you got to spend some good time with your family!

The Barnyards said...

I don't know how I missed this post....I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. What an amazing woman. Love you friend.